Why Blog a Documentary?

As much as it's about my documentary, this blog is about working independently on a long-term project. Motivation, productivity, learning-as-you-go, and fighting technology are challenges many people face today on projects like my documentary.

I cover some questions in a post here.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Subtasks and Productivity

Today I spent a long time figuring out how to do several important things: recording on my VAIO with my USB mic, using filters in Soundbooth, using the transcribe function, and exporting from Illustrator to After Effects competently.

Anyway, I spent a really long time tooling around with the microphone. Computers do weird things for no reason. Eventually I solved the problem, but all in all I probably spent like 3 hours working on it. That is really too long, I decided. So for my other tasks, I pulled out my little notebook and started making subtasks.

When I'm working with computers and gadgets, there is some kind of curious little kid inside of me who bubbles up. He wants to understand each component of whatever process I'm doing to the fullest--always with the justification "just in case." That's fine...sometimes. But if you're inclined to do that all the time like I am, then you probably won't get the job done.

The purpose of my work time is to get a job done, not to enjoy myself--although I've chosen my work so that I stand a good chance of enjoying myself anyway. It's essential to mess around, even to do it a lot, but that should have its own reserved time. The division of labor works as much within a single person's time as between people in a community. So I'm happiest and most productive when I rationally specialize with my time. I realize gains from trade between the two types of workers I can be.

A good way to keep my head out of the clouds is by making little subtasks on a notebook. I call them "subtasks," because they are much more specific and smaller than regular tasks that you would put on your daily to-do list. I'll write "Figure out how best to record." Then underneath it, I'll write "test compressor defaults."

At any moment, I should be able to justify whatever I am doing according to a subtask. That keeps me on track. It lets me make rational decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment