Why Blog a Documentary?

As much as it's about my documentary, this blog is about working independently on a long-term project. Motivation, productivity, learning-as-you-go, and fighting technology are challenges many people face today on projects like my documentary.

I cover some questions in a post here.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Today

Today I rewrote some narration. This week has been all about outlining.

It starts with an explanation of why traffic happens. That's the "engineers explanation." Then it goes into an economist's explanation. The central question will be, "How do we choose which cars to push off the road?"

The economist's explanation will consider:
(1) a lottery
(2) regulation
(3) volunteerism.

But it turns out none of the three work. So, it's left up to the price system.

That is the structure of the first 12 minutes of the movie.

Issues:

I want to have the information unfold as a dialogue. I have been listening to RadioLab and also This American Life. Both those shows always present information as a two-person dialogue, where one person is skeptical and questioning, while their partner is expository.
But I only have myself right now. I'll get two narrators in the future.

The central format might be an infomercial. It would be a campy infomercial. The humor would be that it's set up with two people talking in a home about congestion pricing as if it's a household product. Queue black-and-white shots of someone banging the steering wheel in traffic. Queue sweater tied over shoulders. Queue unexpected visitors dropping in.

Or it could be the get-rich-quick type of infomercial, where there's this sleazy dude explaining everything about congestion pricing.

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to be able to get anyone to interview who will appear throughout the film?

    I'm not sold about the infomercial idea. It might come across as gimmicky. Though I know you want the film to be entertaining not just educational. I thought the video essay style worked well with IATB.

    Hmm... Perhaps you can organize it through man on the street interviews? That way you get the dialogue but it doesn't seem forced. Though I imagine that could be kind of hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reply on google reader if you want. I don't check this blog for comments.

    ReplyDelete